hot dog article in NY Times

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed Aug 10 17:15:01 UTC 2011

If you just go to the NYT and search "hot dog" the article will pop up.
That's how I found it.
DAD

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Cohen, Gerald Leonard
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:57 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: hot dog article in NY Times

=20
For "hot dog" afficionados:=20
Barry Popik has drawn my attention to a recent NY Times article on the =
New York hot dog:
=20
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/dining/the-hot-dog-redefined-one-cart-a=
t-a-time.html
=20
The article does not treat the origin of the term "hot dog." But a =
picture accompanying the article in the above link caught my attention.  =
It shows a hot dog vendor, "ca. 1910," but the sign on his cart doesn't =
say "Hot Dogs";
it says "Hot Frankfurters."
=20
The term "hot dog" had not yet become a generally accepted term (still a =
bit akin in its semantic nuance to "roadkill"), and vendors wishing to =
entice passers-by to purchase their comestible no doubt felt they would =
have better luck by having their signs proclaim "Hot Frankfurters."=20
=20
G. Cohen
=20
=20