Borrowed-a names

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Aug 10 17:58:15 UTC 2011

--

But isn't the stressed first-syllable vowel virtually always /&/ (IPA
"ae" ligature) in several comparable words ("tamarack", "tamarind",

I suppose I would use a guess-pronunciation like /ta'mara/ (or
more-Englishy /t at mar@/) if I figured the name to be an import of unknown
origin, but I would not bet much on my guess.

I think most folks would pronounce an unfamiliar name by analogy with
other words which they use or see (e.g., in the current case maybe
"camera"), without any thought of borrowing or origin. I myself would
not know offhand whether, say, "tamarack" or "tamarind" was a loan-word
or if so from what language; I think the average person wouldn't know
offhand even how to find out and furthermore would never think of trying.

I would guess that in my neck of the woods, judging from comparable
cases including one in the immediate family, an unfamiliar name written
"Sadra" would be pronounced (by strangers) /s&dr@/ (with "ae" sound)
about 70-80% of the time.

-- Doug Wilson