_Symbian_

Thu Aug 11 02:59:59 UTC 2011

Wilson Gray
> Subject:      _Symbian_
> This word is apparently not in the OED nor in the UD, in the relevant meaning.

The denizens of Wikipedia apparently call the device a Sybian. It was
developed in the 1980s, and The Howard Stern Show has been a recent
locus of popularization.

An online history at the sybian.com website provides a rationale for the name:

[begin excerpt]
Now we needed a name. For nearly four years we called it Master
Better, MB for short, but knew we had to come up with something
different. We finally agreed on Sybian. The Syb is derived from
Sybaris, an ancient Greek city in southern Italy, famous as a center
of luxurious living. A Sybarite is defined as a person who likes
luxurious things so we now refer to the owners of Sybian by that name.

I would not label these links NSFW but I do not know your work environment:
http://www.sybian.com/sybian_history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybian

< Continuing Wilson Gray's comment>