"chairman" gets neutered

Ry Rivard ryrivard at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 11 05:36:34 UTC 2011

Newspaper writer here. Preferred style for our paper (relatively small, American) is "chair(wo)man". But I do note the occasional  indiscriminate use by those I cover of "chairman" toward females (but never "chairwoman" of males). A curmudgeon about the building used to say of "chair": "People are not chairs."

--
Ry Rivard
twitter.com/ryrivard | 304.389.9982