"flying horses", "exercise", "quadrille" -- and "fandango" 1831

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 11 19:51:38 UTC 2011

George,

The "exercise" reference seems explained by the item below, the most
forthcoming of the quotations I've seen.  I looked at Early American
Newspapers (where I too found the 1796 citation) and 19th Century
American Newspapers.

1831:  Daily National Intelligencer, (Washington, DC) Thursday,
November 17, 1831; Issue 5860; col E   [19th C. Amer. Newspapers]

      Flying Horses.
This interesting exercise is found to be productive both of Health
and Amusement.
      The Proprietor, Mr. T. Clarke, respectfully informs the Ladies
and Gentlemen of Washington and vicinity, that he intends giving an
exhibition of the
      Flying Horses,
      At Carusi's Assembly Rooms, on Tuesday, Nov 8,
      For the Exercise and Pleasure of Riding and Catching the Ring
on the Point of a Sword, practised as an exercise between two or four
persons. It is an interesting exercise, and at the same time
conducive to health.
      Physicians have recommended the Swing Car of Diana, Fandango,
and many other inventions, for exercise and health; but to all of
them there has been some particular objection made, which this
invention obviates. the Proprietor invites the attention of the
inhabitants of this vicinity to the trial of his Domesticated Horses,
and every attention will be paid to their pleasure and convenience.

["Ring[s]" is similar to later carousels (e.g., the 1876 Coney
Island/now at Martha's Vineyard "Flying Horses" carousel; see
Wikipedia).  Thus I infer this exercise apparatus is not some kind of
swing, unlike Dan's, but rather rotating.  "Four persons" presumably
explains George's "quadrille" mention; additionally, the OED
associates both "quadrille" and "carousel" with equestrian
displays/exercises.  Genteel enough -- and easy enough on the dance
flooring? -- to be conducted in an Assembly Room, and ridden by
Ladies.  But was this apparatus propelled by the riders, or by a
motor?  "Carousel" dates from 1673, with the quotation using the
words "invencon" and "engines"; "merry-go-round" dates from 1729 and
next 1807.  Were these propelled by motors, live horses or other
draft animals (unlikely in an Assembly Room, surely), or the riders' feet?]

["Swing-car" probably refers to something like those on a
Ferris-wheel.  The Friends' Intelligencer, Vol. 31, allegedly 1875
[Google Books} has the following:

Merry-go-rounds, and a gigantic wheel-apparatus, with a swing-car
suspended from each spoke, are very popular.

Note that the first "Ferris-wheel" was 1893 (Wikipedia).  Does the
1875 device antedate it?]

"Fandango" 1831:  The OED doesn't appear to have any invention under
"fandango", just the dance etc.

There are a number of additional mentions of a "flying horse[s]"
devices in EAN and 19th C. Amer. Newspapers, from the 1830s and on.

Hazard's register of Philadelphia, 1835, appears to say that flying
horses were illegal in Philadelphia at that time.  [Google Books]

Joel