Housing/financial haircut

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 12 15:18:07 UTC 2011

In financial terms, "haircut" usually refers to a discount in
valuation, falling under #2 below. If you give me collateral worth
$100 million dollars at today's market price, I have to consider that
it may be worth less tomorrow (and you may be hard to find and ask for
more collateral) and that the market price might not hold firm if I
tried to sell $100 million worth of the collateral in one go.
Accordingly, I put a haircut on the collateral. The size of the
haircut will reflect the quality of the collateral. I might not
haircut a T-bill at all; a good quality corporate bond may get a 10%
haircut, today a mortgage bond might get a 50% haircut.

More generally, "haircut" is used to mean discount. The "home price
haircut" is not very common, and the "shorter and shorter" comment is
confusing to me, too, and looks like it was invented on the spot by a
writer who should be less creative in his or her imagery. That said,
"haircut" meaning "discount" has a long history.

DanG