Tomming

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 14 17:52:18 UTC 2011

For once, I want to mention something that IS in the OED:

Tom v.: [1963-1976]

> 2. intr.  [ < Tom n.1 1f] To behave in an ingratiating and servile way to
> someone of another (esp. white) race. Also to tom it (up) . U.S. slang.

The reason I wanted to mention it is because of a passage in a blog post
earlier in the week:

http://prospect.org/csnc/blogs/adam_serwer_archive?month=08&year=2011&base_name=not_tomming

Being black and criticizing Obama is not inherently "tomming," any more than
> it is to support the president despite his failures. Tomming involves
> deliberately advancing the arguments of the community's dectractors [sic] in
> a bid for approval, it doesn't apply to people who, whatever you think of
> the merits of their argument, ultimately have the best interests of the
> community in mind. This kind of thing weakens the merits of one's argument,
> it doesn't make it stronger.

Do we now need an entry for "tomming"?

VS-)