More on substituting

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 14 21:39:06 UTC 2011

Just to set the record straight:

1. I have never objected to one-liners. I have objected to one-liners that are devoid of content, merely phatic, and contribute nothing to the topic.

2. My purpose was not so much to complain about repetition (though I agree with Arnold) as to condemn the mindless, and linguistically ridiculous, practice of bemoaning solecisms, slips of the tongue and pen, and changes in the language--especially when one does so in the inflated language of anguish and "nightmare."

3. I don't remember ever announcing a "principle" that holds that every opinion must be substantiated with "actual supporting evidence," and I'm not sure what sort of "supporting evidence" is needed to document that hand-wringing (and perhaps pearl-clutching as well) about usage is not in accord with accepted scientific principles.

I would like to add, though, that it does not seem at all clear that the "substitution reversal" in the passage that JL cited represents a belief on the part of people at Fox News that "substitute" functions syntactically like "replace." The reversal is very much in the manner of a slip of the tongue, and (as I noted earlier) there is no reason to believe that hearers would not pretty much subconsciously interpret the utterance in the sense that was intended, rather than the nonsensical reading that gives JL nightmares. Maybe the alternative is worth some consideration, though I imagine that Arnold has given it some thought.