Concept of Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 15 19:16:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Ben Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Interestingly enough, when Willie Raskin, Billy Rose, and Fred Fisher wrote the
> song "Fifty Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong" in 1927, the actual population of
> France was pretty close to 40 million -- it wouldn't hit 50 million until 1968,
> says Wikipedia.

But, wasn't it just a saying, without any pretense that it reflected
any kind of reality?

BTW, thanks for the info WRT the song. I had no idea that there was a
song with that title. Perhaps reading its lyrics will give me a clue
to the point of the expression!

--
-Wilson
-----