"Cock"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 16 01:49:46 UTC 2011

Here is an  unquestionable English ex., from a centuries-old bawdy song sung
in 1978 by Danny Brazil, a Traveller in Gloucestershire. Brazil seems to
have been born around 1910. He is described as "illiterate." He learned many
songs from his father:

"She run downstairs for to piddle in the pot.
Up jumped the little crabfish and caught her by the cock."

http://www.mustrad.org.uk/articles/brazils.htm#fam

I've seen dozens of variant texts of this song, dating back to Bishop
Percy's ms.,  but this is the only one that has this rhyme. Presumably the
couplet originated in the nineteenth century.

JL