"Cock"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 16 15:28:42 UTC 2011

I don't see how we could know.

But isn't the assertion that it has a truly unisex denotation (as was
suggested a while back) still merely speculative?  Except, perhaps, in the
minds of some poststructuralists, the real-life distinction between male and
female physiology seems incontrovertible.

I've never met or heard of anybody who used the word that way, which, from
the point of view of the known history of English sexual terms, would, I
believe, be unprecedented. (I'm not counting intentionally vague euphemisms
with inclusive standard meanings like "thing" and "business.")

Anyone using the word in a unisex manner today may realistically be
suspected of tendentiousness. A hundred years from now, who knows?

JL