hum bao and humbao (1990)

Wed Aug 17 07:14:55 UTC 2011

Not in the online OED, the earliest citation on Google Books is from 1985, but it seems questionable. Two more definite citations for the stuffed roll are 1990 and 1992. The Internet does not seem to have a citation until 2001.

My spelling is not even listed on the Wikipedia entry, which under "baozi" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baozi) lists "bao, bau, humbow, nunu, bausak, pow or pau" as alternatives to "baozi."

I cannot find the Chinese characters for humbao, though "bao" is almost certainly 包.

GOOGLE BOOKS
1. Humbao - 1985
"Northwest best places: restaurants, lodgings, and tourism in Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia," by David Brewster, Sasquatch Books, page 512 (http://ow.ly/6597L)

----
Peter Swei learned his trade at the hands of his father, a Tokyo restaurateur, and has brought which him recipes for Humbao chicke, sweet and sour pork, and...
----

"Humbao chicken"? Tokyo restaurateur? Is this a misprint for kung pao chicken?

2. hum bao - 1990
"Portland best places: a discriminating guide to Portland's restaurants, lodgings, shopping, nightlife, arts, sights, outings, and annual events," by Stephanie Irving, page 311 (http://ow.ly/6590H)

Citation from http://ow.ly/6591m
-----
Complement that with hum bao, pot-stickers, or steamed pork pastries, and add a side of fiery kimchi, and lunch takes on bountiful and flavorful dimensions rarely seen in America.
-----

3. humbao - 1992

"Portland Best Places: A Discriminating Guide to Portland's Restaurants, Lodgings, Shopping, Nightlife, Arts, Sights, and Outing," Stephanie Irving, Kim Carlson, page 21 (http://ow.ly/6592I)

Citation from http://ow.ly/6593o
-----
Of the side dishes, try the humbao, and wander around the corner the sushi rolls aren't bad, either.
-----

GOOGLE
4. hum bao - February 1, 2002
http://www.gotowardsdelight.org/recipes/index.html

-----
Vegetarian Sausage Buns (kind of like hum bao, but not really)
-----

5. humbao - 2001
http://www.asianamericanfilm.com/archives/000743.html

-----
Name: Rabyang Thonden Gyalkhang
E-mail: rabyang at yahoo.com
Web Page: realitydreamfilms

Wow Lily, your 2 mint. was great to watch I really liked it. My short film "Legends of HumBao" will be soon on the web and hope you and others will enjoy this too. Right now the web site is still under construction hope to finish it by Aripl 20th.

04/10/01 23:31
-----

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA