Because X

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 17 11:22:41 UTC 2011

I've heard this and even used it - humorously only, I hasten to add, in
imitation of the teenage-and-under types who do use it.  Just when or why I
started I can't say, but it hasn't been more than five years or so, possibly
less.

"The Simpsons" is a conceivable source, but that's only a guess. The
construction may never have appeared on "The Simpsons".

Until John pointed it out, I'd never even thought of it as a "construction":
more of a rhetorical device, rather.

To me, "y'know" is probably mandatory. It signals the hilarious
inarticulateness of what follows.

JL