hum bao and humbao (1990)

Wed Aug 17 23:41:05 UTC 2011

Nice find! I can't read Chinese, but can at least identify characters.

On the page for 餡 (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E9%A4%A1), it says under the Mandarin section "filling (for dumplings etc.)" Since 包 means wrap (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%8C%85. but not defined), that makes sense. "餡包" gets 938,000 Googits.

I wonder if 鹹包 is word play or nonce usage. I've never understood how Cantonese writing works very well, but I think they have some freedom of character use, something along the lines of jukujikun as you mentioned the other day. Still, "鹹包" gets 49,900 Googits, pale in comparison, but still a large number...

BB