hum bao and humbao (1990)

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 18 03:09:07 UTC 2011

Asian--yes, general supermarkets--mostly no. I have never seen them as
singles, however--usually in packs of four to six, depending on size and
prep method (bake or steam). As far as I can tell, none are intended to be
microwaved, but I've never been able to read the non-English directions on
them so it could be something lost in translation. In any case, I've never
seen the ones similar to the Dutch ones in the US. Those used to cost from
10 to 70 cents apiece--like I said, basic snack or fast food. The ones I've
seen in Boston/SF/Chicago/Madison tend to be for home production, not food
on the go.

Of course, the ones at bakeries are just snacks--I do believe that's egg
glaze mostly, not honey (but it might be sugar/honey glaze on some of them).
I've seen them on menu lists (or carts) in dim sums in Boston, New York and
Chicago (I've only been to one dim sum in Oakland and never in SF). But they
are listed under a variety of names.

VS-)