work 'plastic surgery'

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Aug 19 21:06:11 UTC 2011

Not quite plastic surgery, but perhaps a predecessor:

In the 1963 movie "Mary, Mary", in the scene where Mary (Debbie
Reynolds) first appears, newly beautiful, about 15 minutes in, one of
the male characters remarks on her new appearance, "Clearly what we
have is a bit of work."  The work referred to includes hair, dress,
powder, and one or two other things I didn't catch because they were
named before my ears caught the "bit of work" quote; I can't say
therefore whether anything in the line of surgery -- such as a
remodeled nose or chin -- was actually mentioned.

"Bit of work" seems to have been common in that period as a reference
to various kinds of surgery.  That suggests to me that one of the
"improvements" I don't remember may have been plastic surgery.

The movie is based on the Jean Kerr play of 1961.  I haven't found
the scripts for either.

Joel