Dialect variation in the Times

Mon Aug 22 03:01:05 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Darla Wells wrote:

> We were just arguing this on Facebook: I always hear that line in Electric
> Light Orchestra's Blinded by the Light as "wrapped up like a douche, another
> runner in the night" but was informed that it was "like a deuce" talking
> about auto racing...

Manfred Mann's Earth Band covering Bruce Springsteen, actually. As per
Wikipedia, "Springsteen himself has joked about the [mondegreen]
controversy, claiming that it was not until Manfred Mann rewrote the
song to be about a 'feminine hygiene product' that it became popular."

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/