"dim <someone's> daylights", 1800

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Aug 23 16:18:31 UTC 2011

At 8/22/2011 10:02 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Did it ever change to headlights? I might still get inclined to knock
>the living daylights out of somebody.
>DanG

But would you be inclined to knock the living *headlights* out of
somebody?  Daylights are part of human anatomy (or something), and
can be called "living"; headlights are part of mechanical anatomy,
and can be literally dimmed, via a switch.

"I'll dim your headlights" sounds like something sayable today, that
I might even have heard sometime; "dim your daylights" not.

("Knock daylight" exists in only two quotations in the OED:

1881    Punch 17 Sept. 124/1   Ready at the call of duty to frame a
new programme or knock daylight into an old one.   [I don't know
whether this means "amend to be useful" or "punch holes in".]

1921    Everybody's Mag. Oct. 145/1   'The old son-of-a-gun has got
to the Dutchman and is knocking daylight out of him.' He would go
down and get a ring-side view.  [This seems rather concrete.]

I don't find "knock headlight(s)", and nor did I find "dim
daylight(s)/headlight(s).)

Joel