no laughing aside

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 23 17:25:32 UTC 2011

OED has the relevant sense of "aside" from 1860 and 1871 only, with the
now-surprising query as to whether it is so used only in the U.S.

There are no exx. of "(all) kidding aside."

The earliest from NewspaperArchive:

1901 _Dubuque Daily Telegraph_ (Aug. 14) (unp.): But all "kidding" aside,
the party is out to have a real quiet time.

The earliest from GB:

1911 _The American Globe_ III (Jan.) 15: Kidding aside, my father writes me
that he likes the suit very much.

Roughly contemporaneous cites suggest that it's short for "Laying" or
"putting all kidding aside."

JL