Kittereen

Wed Aug 24 03:12:29 UTC 2011

     CHAISE-Boxes, Chair and Kittereen-Boxes, with all sorts of Wheels and
Carriages for the same, are made by James Hallett, on Golden-Hill, at the
Sign of the Chair-Wheel; at the most reasonable Rates, with all Expedition.
     N-Y Gazette Revived, February 12, 1750, p. 4, col. ? (from Early
American Newspapers (now America's Historical Newspapers)

OED:   A kind of covered vehicle.
<http://ezproxy.library.nyu.edu:32445/view/Entry/103775?rskey=cPwZUn&result=1&isAdvanced=true#>
†*a.* In West of England, A kind of omnibus (*obs.*).
 *b.* In West Indies, A kind of one-horse chaise or buggy.
1792    *Descr. Kentucky* 42   In 1787 were exported Chaises 40, Kittareens
10, Sulkeys 7.
1831    J. Porter *Sir E. Seaward's Narr.* II. 336,   I desired Drake
to‥hire a kittereen—a sort of one-horse chaise.
1865    R. Hunt *Pop. Romances W. Eng.* Introd. 14   Within my own memory
[born 1807] the ordinary means of travelling from Penzance to Plymouth was a
van called a ‘kitterine’, and three days were occupied in the journey.

GAT
--
George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.