Interesting phrasing

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 24 14:32:59 UTC 2011

"Too tolerant?" Nonsense. If I say, "It sure is cold in here" and my butler turns up the heat, is bmy butler being too tolerant of the indirectness of speech act?

It does not take any imagination whatever to understand that what he intended to CONVEY was "We are in the middle of dealing with the after-effects of an earthquake that just a few minutes ago disrupted service." But I suppose if he had said that, someone would have complained that he was verbose.

I am reminded of Swift's philosophers who thought language too imprecise, so they carried around objects to show to each other. I forget what they did about verbs.

What;s next on ADS-L, sunbeams out of cucumbers?