"The dog ate my ..."

Dave Hause dwhause at JOBE.NET
Thu Aug 25 01:29:47 UTC 2011

We had one who specialized in my wife's bedroom slippers, but only the right
one.  Ate three or four pairs, IIRC, before she lost the taste fore them.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Steinbok" <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: "The dog ate my ..."

Of no linguistic value, but a true story--we actually had a dog that ate
an insurance check. We had to call the insurance company and give them
the "dog ate my check" excuse so that they would send a replacement.
Even offered to send them the left-over scrap (about 2-in. corner
piece). They laughed very hard for a long time, but replaced it.

The dog is still alive, but no longer eats checks--she lost the taste
for paper (she also used to eat any paper towels she could find) about
three years ago. At 13, she's on a high-fiber diet, so no longer needs
cellulose supplements. ;-)

VS-)