a missing "fast"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 25 17:22:30 UTC 2011

Well, one issue I had was whether "fast" in "She is fast my wife" is really an adjective in the first place.  I'd have thought it's an adverb.  In "bind her fast", "hold X fast", etc. I have no problem diagnosing a 4a adjectival use, but "fast my wife" seems different.  No ordinary adjectives appear in the frame "She is ____ my wife".  Now "She is fast, my wife", that *would* be possible—but different.

"She is securely my wife, save that..." is more or less possible, though, with FAST adv. 2a, as in
1850    E. B. Browning Rom. Page,   And wedded fast were we.

LH