on reversed "substitute" (intransitive version)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 26 21:31:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> "If you substitute him=85", you're bound to lose a lot (I wrote =
> down the full conditional but of course misplaced the scrap

_"If you substitute him", you're bound to lose a lot."_

For me, this is totally transparent. I have no problem seeing the
ghost of [someone else for]. OTOH, it's annoying to have to wrestle
the other structure to the ground in order to force it to reveal its
hidden semantic structure.

_I wrote down the full conditional but of course misplaced the scrap._

Surely, you couldn't have been anticipating another, different
outcome, in such a case!;-) <sigh!> Though, at the time, it must have
felt like only the sensible thing to do, of course.

--
-Wilson
-----