amateur of the day: anti-clockwise (and counter-clockwise)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 27 03:12:29 UTC 2011

No mention of the opposite of withershins/widdershins in any of the below, viz. "deasil" (= 'with the apparent direction of the sun', i.e. clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere).  Note that "widdershins" and "deasil" are respectively clockwise and counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere, assuming that one's analog clocks go in the same direction there as they do here.  In another generation, nobody will know what counter- (or anti-)clockwise refers to.

LH