Stupefication

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 29 10:11:45 UTC 2011

In 4th grade at a Catholic school, I used "stupefication" in a class
assignment, ignorant to the fact that it should have been
"stupefaction".  The seminarian teaching the class held up my paper
and laughed at me (what a jerk), offering no explanation as to the
reason behind this strange morphological form.

Google tells me I'm not the only one using this word -- it's even in
many headlines.

But I still have no idea what is going on morphologically.  Anyone
care to elucidate?

--
Randy Alexander
Xiamen, China