Off topic: web page duplication and twitter manipulation

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 19:54:16 UTC 2011

Looks like this is going for YEARS. Google recently started an investigation
and asks affected bloggers to provide some information. See this article at
Search Engine Watch: http://bit.ly/pafxLL.

Lora

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Garson O'Toole
<adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Garson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Off topic: web page duplication and twitter manipulation

> Several list members have blogs or participate on blogs that are
> popular. I have noticed for many months that text is extracted from my
> blog and copied to other websites. These are primarily spammish
> websites designed to fool the Google page rank algorithm by
> manipulating content and links.
>
> But I just noticed a phenomenon that is new to me. An entire post on
> my blog was duplicated on another website. Next, a group of twitter
> users started to tweet about the duplicate webpage. I believe that
> each one of these twitter users is a spambot with fake profile and a
> fake picture. The construction of the twitter agents and the tweets
> themselves are probably automated.
>
> This tweeting could have been done in a way that would have been
> largely invisible to me, but I discovered it was happening because the
> tweets actually mentioned the name of my blog. The goal may be to
> improve the page rank of the duplicate webpage.
>
> Is this happening to the blogs of other list members?

L.
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.