"the Big [initial]"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 31 23:59:26 UTC 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> HDAS includes a number of these (e.g., "the Big D" - 'Dallas').

And it sports three entries for The Big O, including one for Opium as well as the one you were thinking of.  Not to be confused with "The Big --Oh", as in the Big 6-Oh (for the birthday of that number), which is also listed in HDAS and which strikes me as becoming more frequently used (or maybe it's just used more frequently as a euphemism for people whose ages are tracking mine…)

LH