N-word - def. not covered

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Dec 1 21:51:52 UTC 2011

The racial category of 'Black' is defined differently from one polity to
another. Your first shock may start when you visit a place such as
Jamaica, where the category of 'Black' denotes a narrower category,
excluding those people claimed by the category 'Brown'. I am not sure
any more whether the Somali count as Nilotic or Semitic, but certainly
not as as North Africans. However, it is not unusual for people from the
Horn of Africa not to consider themselves "Black," though they are
automatically classified as such in North America. Same shock for
Mulattoes, who don't count as "Black" in parts of Africa but find
themselves grouped with "Blacks" in North America.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of
Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual&  Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago
Department of Linguistics   773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene