N-word - def. not covered

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Dec 1 22:07:31 UTC 2011

Just to back up Wilson's observations below. In my graduate student
days, I once invited a Moroccan guest to come out with me to a night
club in south side Chicago. He asked me if it would be safe for him. I
said, "if you don't talk, nobody will think you are a foreigner" (I did
not add "perhaps if you don't dance either":-) ) and you'll be as fine
as myself (in fact phenotypically more easily identifiable as foreigner
than him). The evening was uneventful and I hope he never worried again
about going dancing in a safe AA neighborhood.

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of
Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Committee on the Conceptual&  Historical Studies of Science
University of Chicago
Department of Linguistics   773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene