N-word - def. not covered

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Thu Dec 1 22:43:52 UTC 2011

And then there's John Lennon's "Woman is the Nigger of the World"
(although I suppose usage in a song can't be considered "outside
literature"). Here the emphasis seems to be as much on "servile" and
"downtrodden" as on "contemptible" and "inferior."

In defense of the song, which was banned in Britain for its word choice
and not particularly well received elsewhere, (African-American)
Congressman Ron Dellums is reported to have said, "If you define
'nigger' as someone whose lifestyle is defined by others, whose
opportunities are defined by others, whose role in society is defined by
others, the good news is that you don't have to be black to be a nigger
in this society. Most of the people in America are niggers."

Lynne Hunter

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:56
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: N-word - def. not covered

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Poster:       William Salmon <wnsalmon at D.UMN.EDU>
-------

<gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> OED
>> 2b. Any person whose behaviour is regarded as reprehensible.
derogatory.

>> The AHD is similarly close:
>>
>> 2. Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race
or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant,etc.

> Do these usages have any genuine existtnce outside of literature?

This seems to be what Senator Robert Byrd is getting at with his use
of "white nigger" in this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FIBJt-c2o0

> the wild, I've often heard, for lack of a better term, "loser-grade"
> speakers from among members of the black underclass - we boojies don't
> live in any such dream - attempt to redefine "nigger" as having this
> kind of non-racist pseudo-meaning. I've already posted a paraphrase of
> the mockery of this argument that occurs in the anime, The Boondocks,
> spoken by the whigger, Gin Rummy: "When I say "nigger," I don't mean
> no disrespect, 'cause, by 'nigger,' I mean 'a ignorant motherfucker'
> and a ignorant motherfucker can be _any_ race."
>
> Well, needless to say, it's true that an ignorant motherfucker _can_
> be "any race."
>
> But, in the United States, not a nigger.
>
> BTW, in some parts of the world, even "Negro" presents a problem for
> some speakers. As I was reading the synopsis written by an Indian of a
> Bollywood movie, I was startled to see one of the characters described
> as a "Dravidian _Negro_."
>
>> Here, not only is being productive the issue, but apparently being a
_recent_ African immigrant evidently > > > disqualifies him from fitting
the definition.