"biting money"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 3 15:05:11 UTC 2011

It would certainly help if some context were
provided, including a reply to Alice Faber's
question whether the reference is to coin or paper money (or something else).

If coin:

Douglas has responded as though "biting money" is
a noun phrase, meaning some kind of money.  I had
thought of it as a verbal phrase, a la Alice,
someone biting money to see if it is genuine.

1)  Noun phrase

Douglas's 1937 and 1939 examples seem to me to be
a comparison of "hard" currency, precious metal
coin, as having real value as contrasted with
paper currency, which is without inherent value
and subject to inflation.  That is, "biting
money" = "coin of precious metal".  His 1974
example seems a straightforward example this.

2)  Verbal phrase, literal

Examples:

1888:  "Until I was thoroughly known, merchants
were in the habit of ringing or biting my money
to assure themselves that it was genuine."  The
Atchison Daily Globe, (Atchison, KS) Tuesday,
March 06, 1888; Issue 3,196; col F.  [19th Century U.S. Newspapers]

1892:  "Never give a porter a bad quarter of soft
metal ­ the porters have an unpleasant way of
biting the money received."  Judge's library, a
monthly magazine of fun, vols. 34-45, p. 51.  [GBooks]

1928: "The man who spends his time biting his
money to see whether or not it is genuine
doesn't, usually, have much of it to bite;
...".  The Desert Moon mystery, Kay Cleaver Strahan, p. 234.  [GBooks snippet]

(I am surprised not to find anything earlier, but
probably I am not searching well.)

Thus for the verbal phrase, literal, "biting
money" is the simple, well-known "testing the quality of coin".

3)  Verbal phrase, figurative

Google Everything has about 2250 hits for the
phrase "biting the money".  A few suggest a
meaning of "violently or improperly taking money from someone".  Examples:

"He was biting the money out my hand lol he knows the value of money!"

"and, therefore, when we provide the committee
with the teeth with which to bite those who are biting the money of the
public instead of sending money,"

"when it starts biting the money off of you"
-----

Of course, none of this directly addresses the
question of whether the expression is regional to the Upper Peninsula.

Joel