biting money

Michael Sheehan wordmall at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 4 16:11:55 UTC 2011

Many thanks for your suggestions on "biting money." I have no context
to give. The question came up on my weekly radio show on language, and
the caller was coasting on memory alone. My access to Cully Gage on
Google Books is severely limited. Only a single sentence appears,
giving me no option to scroll up or down the page. The references
refer to small amounts of money, just enough to buy snuff or fish
hooks, for instance, so it may well be a reference to loose change.