dogfooding

Tue Dec 6 13:56:28 UTC 2011

Here is an instance of "dogfooding" in 1997. The writer is discussing
the use of the programming tool VC++ internally by Microsoft. The
writer also suggests an explanation for the phrase.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/msg/1a4b353ccc5129a2

Short link: http://goo.gl/hpjGi

[Begin excerpt]

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.vc.mfc
From: "David Conger" <dcon... at roadshow.com>
Date: 1997/02/13
Subject: Re: Will VB5 start killing off Visual C++ ?

>    Do they write Visual C++ using Visual C++??

Supposedly Microsoft practices something called "dogfooding" wherein
portions of a still-in-development release of VC++ that are up and
working are used to complete the rest of the release. The idea being
that late stage development tasks can't proceed if the early stage
tasks were not done correctly.

The term "dogfooding" comes from the idea that a dog food manufacturer
ought to be willing to eat the food he produces -- a kind of hard-core
quality assurance method.

[End excerpt]

The phrase "drink our own champagne" is an alternative used by some
people involved with software. Here is an instance in 2002. The
connotations of this phrase are diverse.

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.ingres/msg/fa5b8677509980ab

Short link: http://goo.gl/n75jH

[Begin excerpt]