We're all Keynesians now -- ("Ich bin ein Berliner")

Reinhold {Rey} Aman aman at SONIC.NET
Wed Dec 7 21:05:55 UTC 2011

Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> Ray is right.

I suppose that would be me, Rey.  And yes, you're correct:
Rey *is* right.

> I trust the 13 years I spent in Germany

And I trust the 73 years I have been speaking German as a native
speaker, the years I taught German at the University of Texas and
the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and my expertise as a German
dialectologist for regional variants spoken throughout Germany,
Austria, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, and elsewhere.

> instead of 'scholarly evidence',

By which I meant the scholarly articles published by North-German
Prof. Jürgen Eichhoff and South-German ex-Prof. Reinhold Aman, among
others.

> especially when the 'scholarly evidence' tries to tell me JFK's
> accent wasn't bad.

Ach Gott im Himmel!  My statement that JFK's accent was not "bad" and
his grammar was perfect is *not* "scholarly evidence."

Just for the hell of it, put on your best earphones and listen to
JFK here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pjn5E6yOKo

and then tell me which of the four words are pronounced "badly."

JFK's pronunciation of "Ich bin ein Berliner" is better than how
millions of native German-speakers would pronounce it.  Trust me.
But being incorrigibly stubborn, you'll cling to your erroneous
belief.

Incidentally, the Earth is *not* flat and the moon is *not* made of
green cheese, as many other stubborn people believe.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Reinhold {Rey} Aman wrote:

> [...]
[snipped irrelevant remainder]