A minor mondagreen

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 8 19:08:36 UTC 2011

Hm. Well, that means that I've never heard the entire song. The one
verse of Billy-Boy that I'm familiar with was sung by the once
internationally-famous Francis Luther "Frank Luther" Crow, hailed by
the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as "The 'Frankie-Boy [sc. Sinatra]' of the
Kindergarten."

I have no idea why, though I must have listened the song over a
thousand times, I always heard "see Coowife" and never "seek a wife."

Frank Luther also sang,

A frog, he would a-wooing go
"Heigh-ho!" said Roly(?)
A frog, he would a-wooing go
"Heigh-ho!" said Roly(?)
Whether his mother
Would let him or no
With a roly-poly(?) gammon and spinach
"Heigh-ho!" said Anthony Oly(?)

Or something like that.You know how untrustworthy a
near-seventy-year-old memory can be. IAC, I've come across many
"Froggie-Went-a-Courting" songs, but not one that matches the above.
Probably could, these days, though, if I tried, what with Google and
all.

Of course, _a frog, he_ could well have been _oh, froggie_.

Youneverknow.

For those interested in the basic input-output services of random people, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Luther

--
-Wilson
-----

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM, Baker, John <JBAKER at stradley.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  "Baker, John" <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â Re: A minor mondagreen
>
> I think you're overlooking the fact that the entire song, with its repeated references to the sought/seen wife being too young to leave her mother, is a setup for the final question as to her age, which varies by version but always turns out to be quite substantial.
>

> John Baker

  h!