Dips, dipshits, dipsticks, dipwads, diphthongs

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 9 13:34:24 UTC 2011

None of the Language Log commenters note that "You dipthong" works
partly because heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh you said
"thong."

Otherwise, new to me, though even today I'm as likely as not to
pronounce the linguistic term as "dip-".

Without bothering to check HDAS, which is clear across the room right
now, I believe that "dipstick" antedates _Mork & Mindy_.

I recall that I first heard "You dip!" on Earth Day, 1970, in midtown
Manhattan. God knows why I recall that, but I do. It wasn't addressed
to me, however.

JL