so = 'absolutely; utterly; such'

Fri Dec 9 16:48:59 UTC 2011

I think I see JL's point now. When preceding a predicate NP introduced
by an article (as opposed to "not..."), new-style "so" might sound
odder than usual, in a spot where one might expect emphatic "such"
instead: "Today is *such* a cuddle day." Perhaps the
microsyntacticians at Yale can figure out if that variety of "so" is
less favored than others. Compare:

"I am so a drama queen" (1,210 ghits)
"I am such a drama queen" (55,600 ghits)

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/