so = 'absolutely; utterly; such'

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Dec 9 18:12:43 UTC 2011

Cf. "That is just wrong!" (with the main stress on "wrong").

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 1:02 PM

While we're on current uses of "so," I should mention "That is so
wrong!" meaning "That is terribly offensive to the idea of fashion or
good taste or perhaps even common sense."

For ex., a current commercial that says, "Dressing your Pomeranian
like an elf! So  wrong!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMqLdrzgfk

The vowel in "so" may be elongated or not, but the sentence seems usu.
to get exclamatory stress, as though to indicate that offenses against
fashion and taste are roughly on a par with those against sacrilege
and felony.

I guess I've been noticing it for two or three years.. UrbanD has a
fairly clear one from 2004.

JL