Youneverknow: "half-black"

Sat Dec 10 02:06:00 UTC 2011

It's parallel to half-Japanese or hapa. If you have to talk about someone's racial heritage, I just don't understand why you would call someone who is half-black just black. Maybe to emphasize that Obama is our first black president as a form of ethnic pride or disdain, and maybe certain situations where categorizing that way is convenient, but a fact is a fact.

Because the most common mix in the US is white with another ethnicity/racial group, then saying "half-X" and leaving out the "half-white" part makes sense.

I have a friend half-Japanese and half-Chinese, and I might refer to him as one or the other if we are in a Japanese or Chinese restaurant, etc., so maybe something along those lines makes sense, too...

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA