Wine

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 10 04:18:47 UTC 2011

http://goo.gl/0OlBX
27 CFR 7.71

Not FDA, although FDA usually controls names of products.

But there is also 27 CFR 211:
> (6) The term “wine” means (1) wine as defined in section 610
> andsection 617 of the Revenue Act of 1918 as now in force or hereafter
> amended, and (2) other alcoholic beverages not so defined, but made in
> the manner of wine, including sparkling and carbonated wine, wine made
> from condensed grape must, wine made from other agricultural products
> than the juice of sound, ripe grapes, imitation wine, compounds sold
> as wine, vermouth, cider, perry and sake; in each instance only if
> containing not less than 7 per centum and not more than 24 per centum
> of alcohol by volume, and if for non-industrial use.
> (7) The term “malt beverage” means a beverage made by the alcoholic
> fermentation of an infusion or decoction, or combination of both, in
> potable brewing water, of malted barley with hops, or their parts, or
> their products, and with or without other malted cereals, and with or
> without the addition of unmalted or prepared cereals, other
> carbohydrates or products prepared therefrom, and with or without the
> addition of carbon dioxide, and with or without other wholesome
> products suitable for human food consumption.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but it's a start. 27 CFR 13.11 has
similar language. And more:

http://goo.gl/e8wj2
> TITLE 26 > Subtitle E > CHAPTER 51 > Subchapter F > PART III > § 5381
> § 5381. Natural wine
> Natural wine is the product of the juice or must of sound, ripe grapes
> or other sound, ripe fruit, made with such cellar treatment as may be
> authorized under section 5382 and containing not more than 21 percent
> by weight of total solids. Any wine conforming to such definition
> except for having become substandard by reason of its condition shall
> be deemed not to be natural wine, unless the condition is cor­rected.

I suspect the term BB is looking for is "spirits" rather than "alcoholic
beverage" or "alcohol". "Rice spirits" is a perfectly accurate
description, especially compared to "rice wine" (although "rice wine" is
legal for sake).

There is a Supreme Court case on point, but it's from 1894.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/152/570

VS-)