Anecdote with punchline: Now we're just haggling over the price

Sun Dec 11 06:10:28 UTC 2011

Dan Nussbaum asked
> Can you please tell me where I can obtain copies of the old Coronet magazin=
> e, on line if possible?
>
> It gave Readers' Digest a run for its money.

I do not know of any online repositories with accessible scans of Coronet.

To access an issue of Coronet I use an old-fashioned method.  I
request retrieval of the volume containing the issue from the
auxiliary storage facility at a university library that I frequent.
After a few days I travel to the university and pick up the volume.

You might use WorldCat to see if a library near you has Coronet and
then determine what lending policy the library follows.

I just checked, and the Beaverbrook anecdote does appear near the
bottom of page 88. It is very similar to the 1937 version.

Cite: 1944 August, Coronet, Analysis, Page 88, Esquire Inc., Chicago,
Illinois. (Verified on paper)

[Begin excerpt]
THEY'RE TELLING this story about Lord Beaverbrook and a famous
actress. In a game of hypothetical questions, Beaverbrook asked the
lady, "Would you live with a stranger if he paid you a million
pounds?"
"Yes," she answered.
"And if he paid you five pounds?"
The irate lady fumed, "What do you think I am?"
"We've already established that," returned Beaverbrook. "Now we're
trying to determine the degree." —The U. of California Pelican
[End excerpt]