" 'Vocal Fry' Creeping into U.S. Speech"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 11 18:58:11 UTC 2011

I would think that "vocal fry" (creaky voice) was not a "glottalization" as it says below.  A glottal stop cuts off the airstream from the "glottis" (space between the vocal chords).  A glottal stop actually is a an "epiglottal stop" because it's being done by epiglottis (a flap above the vocal chords that separates the food tube from the air tube).  It must be true because it's possible to swallow water while making a glottal stop, which shows the epiglottis is envolved.  So I think the epiglottis has some affect on the vocal chords to make the creaky voice by overtly manipulating it. See quote below.

"A curious vocal pattern has crept into the speech of young adult women who speak American English: low, creaky vibrations, also called vocal fry. Pop singers, such as Britney Spears, slip vocal fry into their music as a way to reach low notes and add style. Now, a new study of young women in New York state shows that the same guttural vibration—once considered a speech disorder—has become a language fad.
Vocal fry, or glottalization, is a low, staccato vibration during speech, produced by a slow fluttering of the vocal chords (listen here). Since the 1960s, vocal fry has been recognized as the lowest of the three vocal registers, which also include falsetto and modal—the usual speaking register. Speakers creak differently according to their gender, although whether it is more common in males or females varies among languages. In American English, anecdotal reports suggest that the behavior is much more common in women. (In British English, the pattern is the opposite.) Historically, continual use of vocal fry was classified as part of a voice disorder that was believed to lead to vocal chord damage. However, in recent years, researchers have noted occasional use of the creak in speakers with normal voice quality."

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk