nitty-gritty

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 13 23:54:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Online Etymological Dictionary:
>
>> "basic facts," 1961, knitty-gritty, Amer.Eng., said to have been
>> chiefly used by black jazz musicians, perhaps ultimately from nit and
>> grits "finely ground corn."
>
> Just the fact that this is a purely 20th century expression should have
> ended any speculations on the subject.
>
> Certainly, 1961 is not right. I just found a 1947 newspaper source.
> "Basic facts" is not quite right either (at least, it's not the only
> meaning). On the other hand, the ethnic derivation is likely valid.

 _chiefly used by black jazz musicians_

As were, of course, my grade-school classmates and I, back in the '40's.

 _the ethnic derivation is likely valid_

Surely, you jest! Or is that meant to be merely sarcastic?

The OED Online cites _nitty-gritty_ from 1940, noting

colloq. (orig. U.S. in African-American usage).

_perhaps ultimately from nit and grits "finely ground corn."_

Grits are made from coarsely-ground hominy. Of course, *hominy* is
made from corn.

--
-Wilson
-----