Dialects from spelling

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 15 03:32:04 UTC 2011

If spelling isn't phonetically consistent, neither will be pronunciation.  This below is from an email I saw in a forum on spelling.

"There are Estonians all over the world. They hold world-wide conferences and meet in Estonia especially during the Song and Dance Festival years. These Estonians, coming from different countries, all speak the same Estonian. Words are pronounced the same way, no matter from what country they come from. Some young folks who are just learning Estonian may have a British, American or Australian accent, but they know how a word should be pronounced because when they read the word they know how to pronounce it. This tells me that if the same principle of spelling is applied to English, there would be standardized pronunciation of English worldwide."

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk