franking

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 16 19:12:38 UTC 2011

> I read some of this a little differently than you, but I agree it is
> confusing.

I find the 1940 cite unclear. Did the envelope have stamps and was
cancelled, or was the enveloped printed with something accepted as postage?

I interpret the 1951 cite as meaning a girl put fake stamps on an envelope,
and the PO cancelled the stamps and delivered the letter. This is not 1a to
my eyes.

As for this 1927 cite:

___

> 1927 /Times/ 25 Feb. 10/6   The posting of franked letters at a date
> subsequent to that marked on the envelope is a violation of the terms
> of the licence.

This looks suspiciously as the meaning of franked="postmarked by a
machine"
___

This is referring to machine franking, but not postmarking. Stamps have no
date; the date arrives with a postmark. Machine franking can have a date,
and it would be a violation to post the letters on a date later than
indicated in the franking.

I don't see a difference between your first and third definitions of
franking. I have a machine add postage to an envelope or card, mailed in
another envelope, and the recipient can post the envelope or card back.

DanG