"success in life .. a quarter hour before my time"

Mon Dec 19 02:54:11 UTC 2011

There is an anecdote about punctuality that features Lord Nelson in
the starring role. Here is the end of a version published in 1823.
This is from GB. I suspect an earlier match in a newspaper database
exists. Maybe when Lord Nelson was alive.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9NYEAAAAQAAJ&q=Nelson#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
PUNCTUALITY
…
When Lord Nelson was leaving London, on his last, but glorious,
expedition against the enemy …

"And you go to the inn, Mr. A., and see them off?"
"I shall, my lord; I shall be there punctually at six."
"A quarter before six, Mr. A. (returned Lord Nelson) be there a
quarter before six. To that quarter of an hour I owe every thing in
life."
[End excerpt]

The quotation Joel found may have been derived from this anecdote
which was reprinted for years.

Garson