Maxim of acting: Honesty ... fake that, I'll have it made (1962 April 6)

Mon Dec 19 03:35:44 UTC 2011

Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> Are you aware that a version of the line is in the new movie "My Week with
> Marilyn", based on Colin Clark's diaries from the time he worked as
> Olivier's assistant during the filming of the movie "The Prince and the
> Showgirl" in 1956.
>
> The line put in Olivier's mouth, if my memory serves, was "Truth...when you
> can fake that, you'll  have a good career."

Dan: Many thanks for this fun piece of information.

There is a script for "My Week With Marilyn" online at the website of
The Weinstein Company. The script may be incorrect. Also, duing
filming sometimes scripts are modified or ignored. Nevertheless, this
script does contain a version of the quotation.

http://twcguilds.com/assets/screenplay/my-week-with-marilyn.pdf

MY WEEK WITH MARILYN by Adrian Hodges

PAULA bristles at this insult to her husband’s work.

PAULA
Pretend? We’re talking about the difference between the truth and
artificial crap.

OLIVIER
We’re in absolute agreement, Paula. Acting is all about sincerity. And
if you can fake that, you’re off to the races.

PAULA only stares at him in disgust. Thoroughly alarmed MILTON intervenes.

Garson