_caramel_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 20 00:41:39 UTC 2011

Could there one have been both a

[kAr at mEl]

and a

[kar at m@l]

that eventually became

[karm at l]

?

I can't remember when I switched to the trisyllabic pronunciation, but
it probably wasn't until after I got out of the Army at the age of 25
and moved from Saint Louis to Los Angeles for good. My wife thinks
that it was a grad student at at around the same age that she made the
switch. IAC, we both somehow got the impression that bisyllabic was
wrong and trisyllabic right, after growing up bisyllabic in regions a
thousand miles apart.

--
-Wilson
-----