Modern Sense of "Stalk," v.

Tue Dec 20 01:53:24 UTC 2011

Stalk is being extended in a natural way, I think. Here are examples
in 1913 and 1922 that seem to be moving close to the modern meaning.

Cite: 1913, The Crimson Cross, Charles Edmonds Walk, Millard Lynch
Page 255-256, A.C. McClurg & Co. (Google Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=44AeAAAAMAAJ&q=implacable#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Of late I have been seeing his shadowed visage everywhere. He is
stalking me close, the grim silent old chap sure servant of as cruel
and implacable a foe as ever hounded a man to his grave; a foe who has
marked me for his own, even as all of his enemies before me were
marked - God alone knows how many. One thing I do know, however, -
none ever escaped him. Each one fell before his devilish power, and it
has been hammered home to me that my time is near at hand.
[End excerpt]

Cite: 1921, Letters to Isabel by Lord Shaw of Dumerfermline, Page 119,
Cassell and Company, London. (Google Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=MZcxAQAAIAAJ&q=stalking#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
It turned out that Morley had been keeping his eye upon, and in fact
stalking me. Greater prominence had, you see, been given to my
becoming Solicitor General, because the Unionists, although I had
entered the House only about eighteen months, before and stood on the
same ticket, blundered badly in contesting the seat. A fluent English
barrister was found to oppose me, and he was handsomely beaten after a
rattling contest. The majority was nearly doubled and the Burghs came
to be looked upon as a Radical stronghold.
[End excerpt]

The "eighteen months" mentioned may not fit the OED notion of
"extended period of time".

I've only read small sections of these works do I do not know the
larger context.

Garson